Quick Tips: Using Heat For Back Pain
-Best for chronic or reoccurring back pain episodes.
– Use to increase blood flow and relax muscles.
– Heat therapy can be applied in 20-30 minute intervals or longer for more intense back pain but do not fall asleep during applications.
– Never place local heat therapy directly on the skin to avoid burns and use the low or medium setting for heating pads.
– Heat should not be used on areas that are swollen, bruised, have open wounds or by persons with certain medical conditions (check product labels carefully or seek advice from your doctor).
– Heat therapy can be applied through products or even just with a hot bath or shower.
Quick Tips: Using Ice For Back Pain
- Best for an acute incident as a result of injuries, sprains and strains.
– Use to reduce inflammation and swelling as well as to relieve pain.
– Apply ice as soon as possible following the incident. Continue for 2-3 days.
– Ice treatments should be limited to 15-20 minutes at a time and do not fall asleep when applying.
– Always wrap the ice pack in a cloth or towel to protect your skin from ice burns before the treatment.
– Alternating between ice and heat therapy can also help ease back pain but wait until the skin temperature has returned to normal (30-60 minutes) before the switch.
Suggested Heat and Cold Therapy Products For Back Pain
You’ll be able to restore muscles to a relaxed, healthy state with deep, penetrating heat. MediBeads® Moist Heat King Pad by EasyComforts provides clean, moist heat therapy at home by absorbing moisture from the air. Microwave in minutes for therapeutic-level heat that lasts up to 30 minutes, or freeze for cold therapy. Beads stay odor- and mold-free.
The Sunbeam 2013-912 XpressHeatHeating Pad, Extra Large (12″ x 24″) includes a patent pending technology pad that heats up in 30 seconds, which is 3 times faster than standard heating pads! It’s designed for flexibility and comfort with 6 heat settings, auto-off feature and plush cover.
The latex-free, Chattanooga Blue Vinyl ColPac Oversize, is blue vinyl and filled with a non-toxic silica gel that remains pliable. It delivers up to 30 minutes of soothing relief from acute pain and swelling. The 11″ x 21″ oversize is perfect for back pain.
Also a good size (10″ x 15″) for icing back pain away is the Comfort Gel Packs – 10″ x 15″. It too remains flexible when frozen and is praised for staying cold longer than the average ice pack. It’s strong, durable, and reusable for either cold or heat therapy.
Used in medical clinics worldwide to treat muscle and joint pain, the Elasto-Gel Large/X-Large Lumbar -Back Wrap 36″-52″ has a flexible hook-and-loop closures that let you move about freely. Sturdy gel padding keeps its flexibility from 250° down to -20° Fahrenheit for use in hot or cold therapy applications. Also available: Elasto Gel SMALL/MEDIUM Ice & Hot Wrap for Pain in Lower Back.
Avoid going back and forth to the freezer with the reusable Cryo-Max Reusable Cold Pack, Large, 12″ X 12″, 1-Count Box that remains cold for up to 8 hours. It’s flexible when frozen and contours easily to any part of the body. The non-clumping physical construction allows for evenly dispersed therapy with no cold spots.
With advanced moist or dry technology the Honeywell HP1000 Kaz SoftHeat Ultra Back Heat Wrap helps relax muscles and relieve joint pain. Use for dry heat or simply dampen the pad for moist heat. The adjustable back heat wrap is designed to contour to your back. One size fits up to a 47″ waist.
Related Blog: Is Heat Or Ice Better For Back Pain?
Don’t forget to leave questions or comments!