Claims: 1) To explain the common causes of sciatica and piriformis syndrome as well as help you determine what is causing your symptoms. 2)To provide the most effective exercises and home treatments complete with detailed instructions and illustrations. 3) To guide you on what to when you’re in pain and help prevent future episodes.
Author: Dr. George F. Best, D.C.
To begin with, this book is short but action-packed. Since it specifically addresses just sciatica and piriformis syndrome, that is quite refreshing. Chapter One is the usual discussion on the condition, however Chapter Two does lead right into clues and tests to help you determine the source of your pain. It is very informative and will likely help you distinguish between nerve compression and muscle contraction symptoms. An important piece of the puzzle in determining the best course of treatment. Then away we go into the actual exercises and treatments.
The exercises, while just a few key moves, include the McKenzie Technique which focuses not only on symptom relief but also on pain centralization – an important concept in long-lasting treatment, basic piriformis stretching , gluteus minimus and some real easy preventative stretches. Dr. Best does a great job in separating what to do during an occurrence (he calls it the “intensive care” mode) and what to do to prevent becoming symptomatic when pain has been alleviated.
The other home treatments include ice and heat therapy, massage, supplements and natural remedies as well as the two most impressive: acupressure and the emotional freedom technique. In my experience with sciatic nerve pain, acupressure has been the single-most immediate (although temporary) pain-reducing technique that has actually worked. Now, I am talking the difference between not being able to walk the dog at all to afterwards being able to walk the dog and even without being hunched over or crying out in pain every few feet. And I’m very impressed by how detailed this book is for performing this at home. A word to the wise, however, don’t get excited and overdo activities just because you feel so much better. It’s only part of the healing process.
- Down and dirty – get right to it! You’ll be on your way to healing and/or prevention in less than fifteen minutes.
- Very (really very) easy to understand and perform the exercises. The illustrations and descriptions are clear and to the point.
- Impressive acupressure and emotional freedom technique chapters. I am over-joyed that I purchased this book for those two sections alone.
- Stretches are practical for primarily sciatica and piriformis syndrome although all other home remedies could be used for a variety of back pain symptoms.
- Once out of a pain episode, persons who are in tip-top shape will likely want to continue with the treatment plan but may need additional outlets to keep fit.
- Of course, I have to say in good conscience, books focus on self-treatment methods. Don’t consider it a substitute for medical advice as needed.
The Verdict: Perfect for Sciatica and Piriformis Syndrome
Comments and questions are appreciated, always!